The Road to Berlin: Episode 1

20:30



I've been known that running the Berlin marathon was on the cards for about 7 months now, after securing a place in the ballot. My hotel is booked, my mum is coming along as my support squad and all that's left to do now is train and book my flights. Both of which I should probably get on...

While I might be less prepared with my flights my training officially started last week. There's now 70 days to go and I'm feeling motivated to stick to a running schedule after a month of doing whatever. As life is still a bit chaotic at the moment my training plan is going to involve just 3 runs a week - intervals, medium "tempo" and a long run - and the rest will be filled with the usual cross training of my yoga, cycling and aerial antics. I've written everything down and stapled it into the back of my diary and will be ticking off each session as I'm done.

So what did my first week of look like?

Monday: 3.5 mile run. Was meant to be a nice easy pace but I just went with what felt comfortable which was a lot faster than the 8:30-9 min/mile I'd intended. Typical Becks.

Tuesday: 6 x 800 m with 90 second rest. This was my first interval session I'd done in about a year and the only one I've ever attempted by myself. I've figured out how to get my Garmin to do intervals so I guess I have no excuse not to do them. I actually surprised myself with how even my reps were.

Wednesday: Silks

Thursday: Rest - it was my sister's birthday and while I had intended to do my long run before heading home I got stuck in the office and take away Nando's seemed much more appealing...

Friday: Long run - 10 miles and Pole. Added a few runs up Primrose Hill in the middle because it seemed a good idea at the time. It's the longest run I've done since Coniston and I was definitely starting to feel it by the end.

Saturday: Rest - I cycled to and from work and did a Yogaia video in the evening before having an early night.

Sunday: British 10K and 35 mile training ride for RideLondon - You can read more about my British 10K experience here but in summary it was good! I also did my penultimate long ride for RideLondon in some quite windy conditions

Do I have a goal in mind for Berlin? Yes... but my main goal is just to enjoy my first marathon abroad and to finish with a big cheesy smile on my face!

You Might Also Like

0 comments