Ride London-Surrey 46 I'm coming for you

19:00



Last week I found out that I'd won a place in the ballot for the Ride London-Surrey 46 mile cycle event at the end of July. Approximately half an hour after turning down the internship I was supposed to be doing over the summer. This morning I bit the bullet and paid my entry fee.

Within 10 minutes I had a mild panic about being able to ride 46 miles in under 4 hours. Standard.

I'd entered the ballot on a bit of a whim, thinking 1) I probably wouldn't get in and 2) that even if I did I'd be doing an internship abroad and wouldn't be able to take part anyway. Since getting my trusty hybrid about a year ago I've discovered that cycling is something that I really enjoy. Even in the depths of winter where there didn't seem to be enough layers I could put on to keep me warm! I've also found there's something strangely comforting about cycling home in the pouring rain and then being able to snuggle up in a cosy set of pyjamas while munching on warm avocado on toast and stewed apples with almond butter... Or is that just me?

I've been thinking about stepping outside the comfort of my (almost) daily half hour cycle to and from the train station. I think a part of me wanted a new challenge, probably caused by the over excitable Tigger in my head that seems oddly attracted to doing anything long distance. Thoughts of getting a road bike have crossed my mind too many times. What's that n + 1 rule about bikes again?

So I guess this is my new challenge. I might not make the cut off time. I might not be able to cycle up the hills. I might come last. I'm just going to go out and see what happens. It'll be a welcome change of focus between running the Coniston marathon and starting up training for the Berlin marathon. Plus it gives me an excuse to go out and get that shiny road bike.

Ride London-Surrey 46, I'm coming for you.




You Might Also Like

0 comments